The Big Wheel

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bored Stiff

I'm sure we've all endured those times when all you want to do is escape the sheer boredom of the conversation you are trapped in but circumstance or etiquette do not allow.
-Be it the office meeting divulging corporate strategy and its relation to current market trends
-The braai companion who has recently made their debut as parent and feels the need to share each little moment and soiled nappy they have experience thus far
-The passenger in seat 15E who attempts to overcome their fear of flying be maintaining a constant chatter with you, the prisoner in 15F
-The drunk sod spilling his lifes ambitions and consistant disappointments while you attempt to quietly sip your whiskey and unwind from the day.

Sometimes there's just no escape, you wish your phone would ring or someone would set the place on fire, anything just to make the torture end.

I think that this is one of lifes little lessons, an exercise in patience, restraint and a practical lesson in meditative comtemplation of 'shut the fuck up'

12 Comments:

  • the chatty plane passenger is the worst! forces you to resort to mini gnt's!!

    By Blogger Carlz, at 5/10/06 12:17  

  • ...and the lord created iPODs and everything was good.

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 5/10/06 12:22  

  • amen to that!

    By Blogger zuzula, at 5/10/06 14:25  

  • Loving the pic!

    I usually imagine a physical pain that would be worse than having to endure the convo. Like small crocs chewing off my toes.
    Odd, but the powers of imagination can have me entertained for hours as I pretend to listen.

    By Blogger Champagne Heathen, at 5/10/06 15:20  

  • The chatty plane passenger who took you, my lovely Rev, prisoner - learn to shut the fuck up.

    It's worse when you're flying hungover, like after I left GTown. I just stuffed my iPod into my ears and didn't make eye contact with the fatso sitting next to me. Didn't stop him reading over my shoulder though. Idiot.

    By Blogger Peas on Toast, at 6/10/06 10:11  

  • The 15F treatment is pretty harsh, because there's no escape. At least with the others you can make some excuse like, "Oh my, is that the time? I'm sorry, but I've just remembered that I have run away screaming"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/10/06 11:14  

  • ipod's are the best for this agreed. my tactic is to board the plane, whip out a book and plug an ipod in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/10/06 10:10  

  • Long Live Steve Jobs

    By Blogger Aiden, at 9/10/06 22:39  

  • I'm with Jam on this one..

    I'm wearing the iPod from the moment i enter the airport building. i want to make it clear to anyone in the queue that could be my potential torturer/neighbour that i am not interested in making small talk... unless she hot, then i play the role of the torturer :)

    By Blogger Dan Lurie, at 10/10/06 13:08  

  • On my way back to England from Saffies, having been away for 5 yrs... I was devastated and spent most of the ten hour journey running to the toilet in floods of tears...I think the peeps next to me thought I was a coke addict! Everytime I returned I was red-eyed and sniffing...no wonder they didnt make conversation..teehee! After watching the Fantastic 4... I think that pic...would be the ideal punishment for Von Doom...Muwahahaa

    By Blogger Groovy Nutter, at 10/10/06 18:40  

  • All hail to Apple, the saviour of travellers the world over.

    Champs, small croc CHEWING YOUR TOES - definite foot fetish.

    Peas, hangover is good, just breathe on them.

    Kyk, sometimes life presents us with these little tests, other times it attempts a bit of torture

    Jam, Aiden, OD - Sounds like you've all ben iPODDY trained

    Freddie, you're luck you weren't reported as a suspicious terrorist??

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 10/10/06 20:32  

  • Rev! I do not have a foot fetish, nor do I enjoy men with foot fetishes...well, none that I know of right now! But give me a baby croc...

    By Blogger Champagne Heathen, at 11/10/06 13:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home