The Big Wheel

Monday, November 06, 2006

Won Goal!

Stadium 2010 issue is really child's play Cape Argus November 04, 2006

"What's that over there, dad?"

"That's Athlone soccer stadium, my child, they're building a new stand for it."

"For the World Cup games, dad?"

"Actually, no, my child."

"Why not, dad?"

"Because they're going to play the World Cup at a big new stadium in Green Point, my child?"

"Why, dad?"

"Because, my child, they need a bigger stadium to have the really big games like semi-finals."



"So why are they building a new stand at Athlone, dad?"

"So it can be used for World Cup practice matches and later for club games, my child".

"Why can't they play those matches at the new stadium in Green Point, dad?"


"Well, my child, the new stadium will be too big for club matches and not close enough for supporters to get to and the provincial government committed to developing Athlone before it suddenly decided that it wanted to build Green Point and we want a legacy from the World Cup in different parts of the city and sometimes we might need two decent soccer stadiums and Athlone is the traditional home of soccer and non-racial sport in Cape Town."

"I don't understand what you just said, dad."

"Ummm Â… let's just say it's complicated."

"Why don't they play the World Cup games at Newlands, dad? It's pretty big."

"Not quite big enough for the big games, my child, and it's surrounded by houses which makes it hard to have the type of access spaces which FIFA demands."

"What's FIFA, dad?"

"They're the people who run the World Cup, my child."

"But I thought it was our World Cup, dad?"

"Well it is and it isn't, my child. They're just giving it to us for this one time and they insist on stadiums being big and new."

"Even when we won't need them later, dad?"

"Yes, my child."

"That's dumb, dad."

"No, that's FIFA, my child."

"Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the buildings round Newlands and flatten them than build a whole new stadium, dad?"

"Maybe, my child, but the World Cup is a soccer event and they want a new soccer stadium for the city."

"Can they play rugby at a soccer stadium, dad?"

"Yes, of course they can, my child."

"So will they play the big rugby matches at the new stadium, dad?"

"No, my child."

"Why not, dad?"

"Because rugby owns Newlands. It's what they call an asset and they want to get all the money from the suites, catering and advertising at their own ground rather than be a tenant at the new stadium."

"So we're going to have three stadiums when we only need one, dad?"

"Yes, my child."

"That's a waste of money, dad."

"You're right, my child."

"What's that over on the other side of the road, dad?"

"That's the N2 Gateway Project, my child."

"Why are those shiny new houses empty, dad, when there are all those people in shacks nearby?"

"Daddy's got a headache, my child, just be quiet and look at the lovely mountain."

15 Comments:

  • good luck renting anywhere in cape town around 2010 as well. south africans all over are planning to milk the tourists. i hope all this greed backfires.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/11/06 14:51  

  • good god that's so bloody true gooroo that it's frightening.

    as for me I have told my boss I am taking leave in those months leading up to, during an after 2010.

    I am going to some third world country where there is a beach but only one tv in the whole town where the world cup will be showing, so tht i can easily avoid the whole bloody thing!

    I was thinking somewhere in India but we shall see!Hopefully the tickets flying outta here at that time will be dirt cheap!

    By Blogger muddlepuddle, at 6/11/06 15:51  

  • Just popping my pessimist hat on and shunting out on a limb here for a sec...

    I bet my farm in Zimbabwe that the SECOND the last world cup supporter steps onto his homeward bound plane in 2010, South Africa is going to come crashing to it's knees, never to recover (read: be totally f*cked). Oh hang on, on second thoughts i don't have one of those to bet with anymore. Ok, how about 50 bucks?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/06 01:45  

  • All the big questions. Bless.

    By Blogger Steph, at 7/11/06 03:37  

  • FIFA fo fum. I smell the blood of a taxpayer.
    Yeah okay, I know that doesn't rhyme, but I also have a headache.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/06 07:46  

  • What is a big white motorbike tyre doing in the middle of Green Point!?

    By Blogger Dan Lurie, at 7/11/06 09:52  

  • I think that maybe FIFA is an extraterrestrial organisation and this is one of their spaceships landing in Greenpoint.

    My UFO is bigger that the one PEA saw in the Free State

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 7/11/06 10:05  

  • Revo, this is a bit deep for you, my china?

    Fekkin' good point tho'.

    *sigh*

    By Blogger Dolce, at 7/11/06 11:57  

  • Dolce, I just don't think they should turn Greenpoint into a UFO landing strip.

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 7/11/06 13:01  

  • *sob*

    By Blogger Champagne Heathen, at 7/11/06 15:17  

  • I woulda thought your...um...UFO...needed a landing strip the size of Greenpoint. Or do you only find those in Brazil?

    By Blogger Dolce, at 7/11/06 16:56  

  • A Brazilian landing strip?
    Are these guys into soccer or waxing?

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 7/11/06 16:59  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Revolving Credit, at 7/11/06 17:01  

  • Soccer World Cup 2010 is going to be fantastic, but what were they thinking with the building white elephants in Cape Town and Durban.

    By Blogger Yzerfontein, at 7/11/06 21:38  

  • I have a headache now too.
    Thanks Revo.
    Good one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/06 22:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home